Information for International Applicants


All transcripts, diplomas, certificates must be translated and both the originals and translated copies must be sent to the Rackham Graduate School for PhD and MSE applicants and to the College of Engineering Graduate Professional Programs office for MEng applicants.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and other tests for English proficiency

  • Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official score report from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) sent via ETS only (no paper copies accepted), Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB), or International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) (the original report of test scores is required to be sent to the Civil & Environmental Engineering department AND the Rackham Graduate School).
  • If your native language is not English you must demonstrate English proficiency by taking one of the three exams. You do not need to take all three.
  • Applicants who have earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English, (i.e. U.S., United Kingdom, Canada, Australia) are exempt from submitting a MELAB, TOEFL, or IELTS score. If you would like to confirm this with someone in our office, please send an e-mail to In the e-mail please include your full name, date of birth, and school you attended.

Minimum scores on English language tests

  • 84 on the Internet-based TOEFL
  • 560 on the Paper-Pencil TOEFL
  • 80 on the MELAB
  • 6.5 on IELTS

Financial Documents

  • You do not need to submit any financial documents at the time of application.
  • If you are offered admission, the Rackham School of Graduate Studies will contact you with a request to provide evidence of financial support.
  • Do not send these documents to Rackham until you have been asked to submit them. Financial documents submitted at the time of application will not be retained.
Go to top