Resources for Current Graduate Students

For general information, there is a guide to Student Resources on the main University of Michigan web page. It includes links to information about health, public safety, student affairs, and much more.

For information specific to the College of Engineering, you can also check out the Info you Need to Know (INK) website. This page is a great resource for new graduate students.

The following information is more specific to students in our department.

Common issues after matriculation:

When will I receive my I-20?

I'm an international student- when should I arrive?

Where can I find information on housing?

All incoming students have been added to a Google site and e-mailed the link. You can log-in with your umich uniqname and kerberos password. This site replaces the Welcome Packet you were previously told about, and you should check it often. This is not meant to replace e-mail you might send to the Graduate Coordinator with questions, so please do still feel free to e-mail your questions if you can't find the answer on the website.

What is Michigan Engineering?


Transfer Credit

Rackham students can transfer up to six (6) credits of unused, graduate level course-work taken outside of U-M to their Master's program. Students may transfer a total of fifteen (15) credits of internal and external credit combined. A student must complete at least eight (8) hours of graded graduate-level coursework in Rackham and have at least a B cumulative grade point average before requesting a transfer of credit. Please see the Rackham handbook for rules governing transfer credit. 

To place a transfer credit request, please submit your request via the Rackham transfer credit request system. Add the current graduate chair as "grad chair 1" and the graduate programs coordinator as "grad chair 2".

Students in M.Eng. programs follow the same rules as Rackham, but the request is made to the College of Engineering via paper form. Please contact the graduate programs coordinator for details.


PhD Most Requested Forms

Please note all forms must be turned in to the Grad Coordinator for Grad Chair signature via e-mail or turned in to 2166 GGB.

Dissertation Committee Worksheet (.pdf)
Who can serve on my committee? Quick Reference Chart (.pdf)
Add a Degree or Certificate Request Form (.pdf)

Master's Most Requested Forms

Please note all election forms should be turned in to the Grad Coordinator via e-mail or turned in to 2166 GGB.

SUGS MSE Election Form (.pdf)
SUGS MEng Election Form (.pdf)
Civil MSE (Structures) Election Form (.pdf)
Civil MSE (Construction, Geotech, Materials or Hydrology) Election Form (.pdf)
Construction Engineering & Management MSE Election Form (.pdf)
Construction Engineering & Management M.Eng.Election Form (.pdf)
Structural Engineering M.Eng. Election Form (.pdf)
Environmental MSE Election Form (.pdf)
Intelligent Systems MSE Election Form (.pdf)
Add a Degree or Certificate Request Form (.pdf)

Please note all election forms should be turned in to the Grad Coordinator via e-mail or turned in to 2166 GGB.

Student Life


Resources for International Students

  • Rackham's International Student Resource Guide is a helpful look at the opportunities available for international graduate students.
  • The International Connection Program is an initiative by Rackham Graduate School to assist international graduate students in their first-year adjustment to the University of Michigan, while also providing an opportunity for existing University of Michigan graduate students to connect with students from around the world.
  • For information on visas, please refer to the U.S. Department of State’s website.

Helpful Links

Graduate Advising Contact Information

Adda Athansopoulous-Zekkos, Graduate Program Chair

Stacey Stites, Graduate Student Services Assistant
2166 G.G. Brown Building
Phone: 734-647-1082

Go to top